https://www.facebook.com/pages/yarlminnalcom/154587057958075?ref=br_tf

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

'TRIED TO BRIBE ME FOR 15 GENERATIONS'

Health Minister Maithripala Sirisena revealed that tobacco companies offered him money enough to buy properties for 15 generations of his family in one of world's 'happiest' countries, but he rejected this offer outright because he values his country and the people. A so called 'study' maintains that Sri Lanka stands at the 137th position among 194 in a list of the 'world's happiest countries', Minister Sirisena noted. Sirisena said he had been offered money by tobacco companies not to introduce pictorial warnings on cigarette packaging, but he spurned this offer. "The company representatives continuously tried to approach me when I was in Parliament, at home and in office. But I did not meet them because I do not have anything to talk with them," Minister Sirisena said. He said in terms of past history, all who fought against multinational companies were killed. "There is a possibility of assassinating me or my character. May be this decision will decide my political destiny. I will never ever give into them. There are many organisations and the public who are supporting my crusade. I will somehow implement the 80 percent pictorial warning on cigarette packets with their assistance," the minister said. He said arrangements will be made to educate schoolchildren in Sri Lanka on the harmful effects of smoking. Children, wives and shop owners will be asked to prevent their loved ones and the public from smoking Minister Sirisena added. He expressed these views during a felicitation ceremony in Polonnaruwa with the participation of schoolchildren. The children were from Royal College, Rajarata Vidyalaya and Palugasdamana Vidyalaya, Polonnaruwa.

No comments:

Post a Comment